The Importance of Flossing

The Importance of Flossing

Posted by Parke Rogers Dentistry on Sep 27 2017, 10:16 AM

Poor dental health exposes you to severe health risks and diseases. Many studies have confirmed a relationship between oral and systemic health. Soft tissues and teeth can tell what’s happening inside the body.

Aside from just brushing your teeth twice a day, experts recommend regular flossing of the teeth. The American Dental Association recognizes the benefits of flossing in the disruption and removal of plaque between the teeth. Here are more reasons to start flossing daily or regularly.

Removes Sticky Plaque between Your Teeth

It’s never easy to remove the bacteria glued in between the spaces of the teeth with a toothbrush. Surprisingly, one in five Americans doesn’t brush their teeth twice a day while near a third of the population does not floss. According to ADA, you should get used to interdental flossing at least once a day.

Flossing is 40% effective at removing that plaque, and no other thing can fit in between the teeth and bacteria like floss. A toothbrush will only clean the visible surfaces of your teeth and removes approximately 43% of the plaque. The remaining 57% is left stuck between your teeth, and only flossing can help remove it.

The buildup of plaque will lead to the generation of acid, which dissolves the enamel, resulting in the development of cavities. You may also experience the irritation of gums and eventually develop periodontal disease (gum disease).

Also, although further research is required, existing evidence has proven gum disease can heighten the risk of heart disease. A mouth infection will trigger the formation of inflammatory substances in the blood and cause blood clots, which slows down the bloodflow.

Keeps Your Teeth White

It is customary to brush your teeth twice a day. Add flossing, and you keep all the teeth-related conditions at bay. Brushing and flossing will prevent the buildup of plaque and tooth decay. The result is bright and shiny teeth that you’ll be comfortable showing.

Helps with Regular Personal Mouth Examinations

After brushing, many people who don’t floss also don’t inspect their mouths. Flossing presents an excellent opportunity to check out the whole mouth for redness and swelling. When flossing, you can examine your tongue, cheeks, gums and teeth, all at the same time. Since some conditions such as cancer and HIV/AIDs present their symptoms in the form of redness and swelling in the mouth, the inspection can help with early diagnosis.

Study on Twins Confirms the Benefits of Regular Flossing

New York University College of Dentistry carried out a flossing study on fraternal and identical twins up to 21 years. This research was done in the poor neighborhood of Monte Carlos in Brazil, an area associated with insufficient water fluoridation and poor dental care that places residents at a high risk of tooth decay.

After two weeks, researchers found widespread periodontal pathogens in the sample participants who did not floss. Gingival bleeding was far much less among the twins who flossed compared to the group that did not.

Following the findings, researchers concluded that it’s paramount to integrate flossing into the care of tooth and tongue. That way, you can eliminate the microorganisms that cause gum disease and dental caries.

It’s evident that flossing is an integral part of oral health. Now’s the time to make it part of your daily dental routine.

Contact us to schedule an appointment.

Leave A Reply

Please fill all the fields.


9191 Pinecroft Dr STE 270, The Woodlands, TX 77380

Office Hours

MON 7:30 am - 4:30 pm

TUE 7:30 am - 2:30 pm

WED - THU 7:30 am - 4:30 pm

FRI 7:30 am - 2:30 pm

SAT - SUN Closed

Get in Touch


Phone: (281) 419-2632

Pay Your Bill